What room do you spend the most time in everyday? Perhaps the living room catching up with the latest Netflix releases? Or maybe the kitchen, where you try your absolute best to become the next Gordon Ramsay? Well, the answer most likely is your bedroom! The average person will spend up to 12,045 days in bed – that’s a staggering 33 years – and this doesn’t even account for the days when you just can’t bear to leave the bedroom at all (we’ve all had those days)! With all this time being spent cooped up in one room, it only makes sense to keep your bedroom as electrically safe as the rest of your home! Here are some of our tips:
- We know it’s tempting to throw your clothes in a heaving pile at the end of the day, but in doing so you are creating an enormous fire hazard – not only because the pile could act as a perfect form of kindling, it could also potentially block your exit routes!
- Don’t charge any electrical devices, including phones and tablets, on your bed or under your pillow while you sleep as they could overheat and cause a fire. If possible, avoid charging devices unattended or overnight, and when necessary only charge them on a hard surface such as a desk.
- We know it can seem necessary to use an extension lead in the bedroom to deal with the lack of outlets, however you must make sure that you aren’t overloading these leads or your wall sockets. Visit electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/overloadingsockets to check that your sockets are safe.
- While you may already have a smoke alarm on the ground floor of your house, we urge you to have one fitted on every level of your home. This means that if a fire does start upstairs in your bedroom, it will give you a better chance to get out safely and call 999 for help.
- Make sure you are regularly checking the cables and plugs in your bedroom for any signs of wear and tear, loose fittings, or damage. If you do notice anything concerning, stop using the appliance immediately.
- If you are using a portable heater to keep warm, keep it away from flammable materials like papers, curtains and furniture and never use one to dry your clothes.
- Electric blankets are a common source of fires within the bedroom – make sure you replace your blanket if you see any signs of wear and tear. Also read the manufacturers instructions when it comes to storage as incorrect folding could result in frayed wires and a compromised blanket.
by Samantha Mager – Electrical Safety First